Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Secret Service Threatens Trump: Stop Your Massive Rallies, Or Else

 The same agency that failed to protect former President Donald Trump from a would-be assassin's bullet is now asking the GOP's presidential candidate to stop holding large outdoor campaign rallies.

As The Washington Post first reported Tuesday evening, the U.S. Secret Service is "Encouraging" the Trump campaign to halt the large-scale events his supporters have grown accustomed to.

"In the aftermath of the shooting, agents from the Secret Service communicated their concerns about large outdoor rallies going forward to Trump campaign advisers, three people familiar with the matter said," the Post reported, not naming its sources.

Trump's team, at least according to the Post story, is scouting larger indoor arenas to accommodate thousands of rallygoers.

The campaign "Is not currently planning any large outdoor events, a person close to Trump said." The Secret Service did not return an email from The Federalist requesting comment, nor did an official from the Trump campaign.

Blaming Trump The Post devoted several column inches to what a burden Trump's outdoor rallies have been for an agency that glaringly failed its mission to protect him.

The Post's narrative is anything but subtle: Trump - and his penchant for massive campaign rallies - is to blame for his near-assassination.

On an accompanying point, would other former presidents draw such interest? Does the current president? As the Post notes, Trump's rallies are so much more than standard campaign events.

"We've seen from the early days of his presidency even, and before that during his first campaign in 2016, how important crowd size is to him. It gives him a lot of joy and energy being with large crowds. He feeds off their energy. It's almost like a source of comfort for him," Sarah Matthews, who served as deputy press secretary in the Trump White House, told the Post.

'Questions Building' Trump rallies have been made all the more "Onerous" for the Secret Service because the agency has repeatedly denied the Trump campaign's requests for tighter security.

"Reports previously surfaced that there were three snipers stationed in the building that Crooks scaled to shoot at Trump. One of those officers spotted Crooks before the shooting and reported a 'suspicious person' in the minutes leading up to the assassination attempt. That sniper also took a photo of Crooks." The video was obtained from the Beaver County Emergency Services Unit in compliance with congressional requests. 

https://thefederalist.com/2024/07/24/secret-service-threatens-trump-stop-your-massive-rallies-or-else/

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the US Senate Should Say

 The Brownstone Institute discusses the need for a resolution from the US Senate to address the consequences of COVID-19 response measures. ...